IPRS 49th AGM
The 49th IPRS Annual General Meeting (AGM) was held at PSB Academy City Campus, Marina Square, on 21 March 2019. The Election of the Council 2019/2021 was held in conjunction with the 49th AGM. The AGM was called to order by IPRS Honorary Secretary, Gerald De Cotta.
IPRS President, Robert Conceicao, delivered the President’s report 2018 and highlighted the Institute’s performance in 2018 based on decisions adopted by the Council to enable IPRS to be “Future Ready” which included the following:
- To recognize the emergence of new fields in the PR and Communication landscape by expanding our recognition for such fields in the PRISM Awards and by organizing panel discussions and visits to expose our members to such developments;
- To reach out to professional bodies in the communication and media fields with a view of raising the Institute’s profile and expanding membership base – IPRS held informal discussions and partnered a number of associations;
- To promote greater engagement with relevant government agencies – IPRS held discussions with government agencies with a view to obtaining support for our courses/training;
- To champion professional standards for the industry – IPRS revised core training courses which, however, drew modest responses. One of the reasons cited being the lack of government funding/subsidies for such training;
- To nurture the next generation of PR and Communication professionals – IPRS expanded the Student Chapters with tertiary institutions which now numbers nine chapters with an estimated 1300 student members. The two student-oriented categories at PRISM 2019 drew strong support from the Student Chapters. The IPRS Mentorship Programme launched in November 2018 has currently 20 senior practitioners and about 25 students on its rolls.
IPRS Honorary Treasurer, Eric Chan, presented the Financial Report 2018. The Annual Report 2018 and Financial Report 2018 was adopted. Robert thanked each and everyone of the outgoing Council Members for their contributions and support and presented them with a token of appreciation.
Election of Council 2019/2021
Gerald handed the floor over to the Returning Officer, K Bhavani, Accreditation Board Advisor and Accredited Member to conduct the Election of Council 2019/2021. She announced the following as elected to the IPRS Council 2019/2021:
- Loh Bangwei Marcus, President
- Nisar Keshvani, Vice President
- Susie Wee, Honorary Secretary
- Fong Cheng Wah Justin, Honorary Treasurer
- Clarence Fu Yu-Cheng, Council Member
- Illka Gobius, Council Member
- Lily Lim, Council Member
- Ling Wei Ming, Council Member
- P Ramesh, Council Member
The newly-elected President, Marcus Loh, IPRS Council 2019/2021 gave a short speech summarizing the exchanges shared by IPRS’ members at the AGM. He believed that the incoming Council will be able to make plans for the society in this summary of three words – “connection, capabilities and communications”:
- Connection – IPRS could tap on building connections further with senior members via networking with fellow leaders in the industry and focus on converting students in the Student Chapters to full-fledged members and this would fill a talent pipeline and the need for internship.
- Capabilities – IPRS could look into developing more courses/workshops that can improve skills and training for IPRS members and the industry. Our member pool has many talents and thought leaders and could organize events that members/friends would attend.
- Communications – IPRS can look at creating more compelling content and plans for IPRS’ outreach efforts. As the Institute was moving to its 50th Anniversary in 2020, the Council will look to all its members to be a part of this collective move towards our Anniversary.
Click here for more photos.
Incoming IPRS Council 2019/2021
From left to right: Clarence Fu Yu-Cheng (Council Member), Lily Lim (Council Member), Susie Wee (Hon. Secretary), Loh Bang Wei Marcus (President), Nisar Keshvani (Vice-President), Ling Wei Ming (Council Member), Illka A Gobius (Council Member).
Not in photo: Justin Fong Cheng Wah (Hon.Treasurer), P Ramesh (Council Member).
Robert delivering the President’s Report 2018 to the members.
The IPRS Council 2017/2019 Exco addressing queries by the members.
IPRS Members at the 49th AGM.
Members networking during dinner.